Losar Tashi Delek

I didn't realize it was Losar. The thing about being far from home is you hardly realize what day it is back home. These days I’ve develop this routine of sleeping at 3 and waking up at 10 (sometimes 11 or 12)

Losar use to be extra special when i was kid. During The winter vacation, my family always made it a point to visit our village far East. I had both my great grandparents then, dozens of grandfathers and grandmothers and more than twenty uncles. At one point of time we had five generation in our family living under the same roof (in one of the Losars), something that is considered very special. During the holidays, the house at our village use to be really crowded but that was the beauty and fun of it.

I remember neighbors coming together, playing games, exchanging food and drinks and singing and dancing the night away. Losar use to last for more than a week when i was in village. I remember being served so much food in one plate that there was always something left behind for dinner. We the kids use to entertain, showing off all the dances, songs and stories we learned in school. There was no electricity back then so in the evening we would hear the most fascinating tales from our grandparents which usually starts ‘long long ago…’ and somewhere in the middle there would always be something about the heros ‘crossing the seven seas, the seven ocean and the seven mountains…’. When I think about my childhood, one of the memories I have is that of celebrating losar. So I hope every parents back home makes this losar extra special for their children and family. I hope it’s a time that brings families, friends, neighbours and communities together. I wish everyone Losar Tashi Delek!

posted under |

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home
    There was an error in this gadget

    Quote of the day


Recent Comments